The evening of Friday 17 January was dark and chilly but the atmosphere at the Museum of the Home was bright and warm as staff and volunteers celebrated another successful year of volunteering at the Museum!
The party also provided an opportunity to welcome Jenny Murphy, our new Volunteers Officer, and to say farewell to Fran Riando who has left the Museum to study for an MA in Film Making at the University of Gloucestershire.
Director of the Museum, Sonia Solicari, gave a short speech in which she thanked the volunteers for their tremendous contribution. Volunteers are an important part of developing new and innovative ways to deliver the ambitious objectives of the Museum, as well as making the history of the site and collection accessible for visitors during closure.
Here are some of the amazing things volunteers have been doing since the museum closed:
- The Volunteer Panel has supported the delivery of the Volunteering Strategy, including developing a communication plan for the programme;
- Almshouse tour guides have developed and introduced object handling tours and have taken 1769 visitors on tours;
- Volunteers have supported the Development team by researching trusts and companies who might support the museum, sending out introductory emails to corporate supporters, as well as producing a successful application to the Worshipful Company of Gardeners to support the salary of our new Apprentice Gardener for two years;
- The Garden team has tirelessly continued to keep the garden looking great and safe for visitors;
- Volunteers have responded to hundreds of volunteer enquiries and attended volunteer fairs to promote volunteering opportunities at the museum;
- Supported the museum by producing social media posts as well as contributing to the volunteer blog;
- Transcribed important documents from the archive, so they are accessible to more people;
- Helped move and rehome the collection;
- Delivered Geffrye Explorers and supported families at holiday activities;
- Produced evaluation reports of our family events; and
- Helped to deliver outreach sessions and projects with community partners and many special events.
Sally Morris, Volunteer Enquiry Assistant
Thinking about volunteering at the Museum of the Home? Please visit our Volunteer Makers site at https://www.museumofthehome.org.uk/join-and-support/become-a-volunteer/ to find out about upcoming roles and events.
Here are a selection of photographs from a very enjoyable evening