Home has many meanings, from the buildings we live in to a feeling that goes beyond a specific place. The Museum of the Home’s purpose is to reveal and rethink the ways we live, in order to live better together. It is a place to explore and debate what home means.
We’re looking for volunteers to support us in reaching as many people as possible in our local community, particularly those who have not visited the museum before or may face barriers in engaging with the museum.
As part of this role, you will help the Creative Learning team map the community organisations and groups in our local area (primarily Hackney and Tower Hamlets), contact organisations and provide information on the museum’s offer and programming, respond to enquiries regarding community group visits and welcome community groups to the museum.
Time commitment and Travel Expenses
We’re looking for someone to commit around 3 hours per week or fortnightly, from home or from the museum. Initially we are looking for a commitment of 3 months, although we hope that you’ll stay with us longer.
For when you need to come into the museum, we reimburse travel expenses up to the value of £12.70 per return journey.
In this role you will:
- Research community groups in the museum’s local area
- Contact community groups to inform them about the museum’s offer and programming
- Respond to inquiries regarding community group visits
- Meet and greet community groups during their visit to the museum
- Support with community events, workshops and other activities in the community or at the Museum
No special experience, knowledge or qualifications are necessary but to get the most from this role you should:
- Be interested in working with the local community in Hackney
- Enjoy talking to people
- Have a friendly and helpful attitude
- Be able to understand and empathise with people from a variety of backgrounds
- Be able to work well with staff and other volunteers
- Have good communication skills and a good standard of written and verbal English. Additional languages are welcome, especially those relevant to our local community.
Why get involved?
Why get involved?
In this role, you will:
- Gain experience in supporting community activities and projects in a museum setting
- Meet new people and contribute your time and skills to the local community
- Be part of an active team and volunteer community
- Develop a general knowledge and understanding of the museum and garden
- Receive training and support from an experienced team of learning staff
How to get involved?
How to apply:
1: Sign into your Volunteer Maker account or sign up online.
2: Accept the challenge (this registers your interest)
4: We’ll contact you to discuss the role further.
- Community Work